Warm muffins bless the soul on a cold morning.
Never overstir and never overbake muffins, that’s the only secret, really. So this whole batch of 12 takes less than 20 minutes to bake, and the crusty top is really wonderful.
2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
80 ml vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract/pod
1 cup fresh blueberries or 150ml canned blueberries in syrup
- Preheat oven at 200ºC.
- Prepare and line the muffin tin for 12 muffins.
- Mix the egg, vanilla essence and oil with a whisk until combined.
- Mix in the sugar and flour and stir with a wooden spoon with as few strokes as possible, just wetting the dry ingredients. Doesn't matter if it looks as though the mixture is not mixed well.
- Pour in the blueberries, and stir less than 5 times.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
I take them out once they’re cooked to finish off the baking, and return them to the oven (that is switched off) to keep them warm for the whole morning. My kids love warm muffins, and 12 muffins normally finish by noon.