Chillies are the hardest to predict! So I thought 3 chillies won’t be too spicy, but it was so spicy, I had to remove half the sauce and dilute it.
8 x 50g Fish Fillet (mackerel is the best, but I can only find yellow fin king fish, which has a similar smell)
8 Big Mussels (shelled)
2 Tomatoes (cut into quarters)
4 Lady’s fingers (if the tips snap easily, it is ‘young’ and tender)
2 tablespoon Peanut oil
1 tablespoon Asam
1.5 cups of warm water
3 dried chillies
5 laksa leaves
1 lemon grass (white part only)
1 tablespoon belachan (toasted)
1 tablespoon of fish curry powder
- Mix asam with the water. Massage the asam in the 1.5 cups of water until the water becomes dark brown and then strain.
- Ground all the ingredients for the curry paste into a paste, I like mine still a bit coarse.
- Heat up oil in a pan and fry the paste.
- Add the asam water.
- Place the fish and mussels in the pan (my fish and mussels are still frozen)
- Simmer at the lowest heat, till the fish is done as per your liking. I like mine still moist and slightly under cooked.