This recipe is what I turn to when I want to cook curry, or chilli crabs and need some french loaves to go with. They are easy to make and bake in one hour. My son would eat two loaves by himself. They are crusty on the outside and super soft on the inside.
Best of all, I can just let it proof in my steam oven set at 30C for 30 minutes and prepare the rest of the dishes and heat up the oven. It bakes in 12 minutes. Everything for dinner is still cooked in 1 hour. Super!
This recipe is great for pizza base. I have included a really good video on how to knead breads with hands. It is the best I can find on the internet!
1 cup beer at 35C
1.5 tsp instant yeast
2.5 cups of bread flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
- In a bowl, place the beer and the instant yeast and do not disturb it for 15 minutes. It will start to froth.
- Add the flour, sugar and egg yolk, and knead until elastic.
- Add the salt and butter, and knead until the dough passes the window pane test.
- Shape into french loaves.
- Top with egg wash and coarse salt (optional).
- Place them in a tray and into the oven with a pot of boiling water or in a steam oven set at 30C.
- When the shaped bread have doubled in size, bake at 190C on the middle shelf for 13-15 minutes.